Chipped Tooth: Removal or Correction
Monday morning, your boss calls you into his office about something you did last Friday.
Oh, what a way to start the day. You go back to your desk gritting your teeth. You try to take a sip of coffee and there is a piece of something floating in your mouth. You look in the mirror and a big piece of your front tooth is missing! This is classified as a chip. The treatment of a chip depends on its severity.
Classifications of Chipped Teeth
- Very tiny: Surface feels rough, a thin craze, usually corrected by polishing.
- Small: Surface has a notch, a sharp edge is apparent, at times a tiny crack may be observed-usually corrected with composite bonding.
- Medium: A quarter to half the tooth is missing-usually corrected with an onlay or porcelain veneer.
- Large: More than half the tooth is missing-usually corrected with a porcelain crown, in some cases root canal therapy may be indicated along with a core.
- Complete: Complete fracture of the tooth through the pulp chamber or roots, or if a tooth is knocked out of the mouth -usually corrected by extraction, bone graft, and implant placement.
209 NYC Dental is a multispeciality office, so whatever problem you have we have an expert dentist to repair and restore your chipped tooth.
What to Do When a Tooth is Broken or Knocked Out?
- Apply pressure to stop bleeding (ideally with gauze, tissue, or handkerchief).
- Ice area to reduce swelling.
- Keep head slightly elevated.
- You may take two Tylenol capsules for pain.
- Call 209 NYC Dental to make an appointment ASAP. Emergencies are prioritized. We are open 7 days a week (212 355-2290).
- If you have a piece of the tooth or the entire tooth; place it in a little of your saliva, warm water, or milk. Teeth that are reinserted within 30 minutes have a better chance of survival.
If you have a Small Chip and Can’t Get to a Dental Office
Go to pharmacy, buy temp bond, mix powder and liquid to consistency of heavy sour cream. Apply to the chip. If you cannot get to the pharmacy, wax (paraffin) is good. Sugarless gum may also work in an emergency.
During this transitional time keep away from the following foods:
- Coffee (hot)
- Cold beverages
- Chewy candies
- Hard bread
How to Avoid Chips and Fractures of your Teeth
Proper home care
- Brushing teeth twice daily for two minutes with a soft bristle brush
- Flossing once daily before bedtime
- Avoiding sugar as much as possible
- Never chewing ice
- Not placing inappropriate objects in mouth
Proper dental care
- Get old fillings, cavities, cracks repaired before they break
- Twice a year, check-ups and cleanings to remove plaque and tartar
- Radiographs when needed
- Wearing a nightguard if exhibiting grinding (bruxism)
- Wearing occlusal guard when play contact sports
- Invisalign therapy for mal-posed teeth so that teeth interdigitate (occlude) properly
Call 209 NYC Dental for an Appointment
209 NYC Dental is ready 7 days a week to take care of any dental emergencies, chips, fractures, or cosmetic concerns. Prevention is a cornerstone of our practice philosophy. Please come in for a checkup and a cleaning. Call us today at 212-355-2290.