Invisalign for Open Bite
Invisalign for Open Bite - Is it Right for You?
An open bite is a misalignment of the front upper and lower teeth, which leaves a space in between them. Traditionally, dentists treated this condition with metal braces. However, Invisalign offers a comfortable and less invasive treatment option. Here is some background information on this dental issue and how Invisalign can fix your open bite without using braces or putting you through dental surgery.
What Is an Open Bite?
An open bite is a form of malocclusion. Malocclusion is a dental term for teeth that are not well-aligned. If your lower and upper front teeth do not touch each lower when you close your mouth, you have an open bite. The gap in between the teeth can make you self-conscious any time you smile.
What Causes an Open Bite?
An open bite may be caused by inherited skeletal or dental problems, which means you may have gotten yours from your parents. You may also notice the same issue among your siblings. In addition, you could have developed an open bite during your childhood or in your adult years because of poor oral habits.
Some of the most common habits that can cause an open bite include the following:
- Tongue thrust: A poor swallowing pattern in childhood can lead to tongue thrusting.
- Thumb sucking: Sucking the thumb and other fingers or the lower lip.
- Poor tongue posture: Pushing the tongue against the front teeth.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of an Open Bite?
If you have an open bite, the most obvious sign will be that your upper teeth do not have contact with your lower teeth when you close your mouth. Apart from this problem, other issues may come up because of an open bite, including:
- Difficulty closing your mouth
- Improper alignment of other teeth
- Distortion of the jawline and chin
- Difficulty chewing and swallowing
- Speech issues, including a lisp
Why Should You Fix an Open Bite?
While an open bite may not give you any immediate discomfort, you need to get it fixed promptly, as it can contribute to both emotional and physical issues. That is why you should call 209 NYC Dental to see our experienced orthodontist when you notice an open bite. Doing so will help you avoid other possible complications, such as:
- Low sleep quality
- Inability to bite or chew food properly
- Low self-esteem
- Speech impediments
Does Invisalign Work for Open Bites?
Invisalign can work in some cases of open bite. While open bites are not always easy to correct, when you come in to see our Invisalign expert, your teeth will be carefully examined. Then, you will know how we can use Invisalign to close your open bite. We will take a 3D impression of your teeth and show you before and after pictures of other patients who have used Invisalign to correct their open bite.
To have a clear picture of how Invisalign can fix your open bite, you need to understand how clear aligners can straighten your teeth. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign clear aligners do not use wires linked to metal brackets. Instead, each clear aligner is made of a specially crafted plastic material that will gradually move your teeth and jaw into their correct position.
After the 3D scan, the clear aligners will be custom made to fit your teeth perfectly. You will wear a set of aligners for just two weeks. Then, you will switch to a new set of aligners that have a slightly different shape from the previous set. The sets will be used to move your teeth to their correct position over time.
How Long Does Invisalign Take for Open Bites?
The time it takes for Invisalign treatment depends on the severity of the malocclusion you need to treat. For minor open bites, it could take about three months, but moderate open bites could require up to 18 months.
What Are the Benefits of Using Invisalign for Open Bites?
Invisalign offers several advantages over other treatment options, including the following:
- Discreet treatment: Invisalign will enable you to correct your malocclusion without other people noticing. Unlike metal braces, clear aligners will allow you to fix your open bite and keep the treatment private.
- A design that is removable and easy to clean: The aligners are removable. When you want to eat, drink or brush your teeth, you can take them off. Food will not get stuck in them as it does in metal braces.
- Personalized treatment: The Invisalign aligners will be made to fit your teeth perfectly. Each set of aligners will gradually pull the teeth into position.
- Improved self-esteem: Correcting your open bite will improve your smile, which will make you feel more confident when you meet people or take pictures.
- Comfort and convenience: Invisalign clear aligners exert very little pressure on the teeth and jaw. They are virtually painless compared to metal braces.
Meet Dr. Ahn, VIP Platinum Invisalign Provider
Dr. Ben Ahn is a Diamond Plus Provider. He is one of the few dentists in the U.S. that hold the prestigious VIP Diamond Plus award. He is rated among the best Invisalign experts in the country. Dr. Ahn is currently practicing at 209 NYC Dental. He offers Invisalign treatment plans that mean goals can be attained within an efficient time frame.
Dr. Ahn is a committed member of the American Dental Association (ADA) and other international professional medical and dental associations. He is passionate about discovering how to improve the outcome of Invisalign treatment along with the quality of care. Dr. Ahn has used Invisalign to treat various malocclusions like open bite, crowding teeth, crossbite and overbite for more than 15 years. In addition to treating adults, he also offers Invisalign Teen and all treatment options including Invisalign Express.
Call Today for a Free Invisalign Consultation
Call 209 NYC Dental now to schedule a free consultation, or book your free consultation online. We will provide all the information you need to discover how Invisalign can correct your open bite. We will examine your smile carefully, give you a 3D imaging scan and allow you to see before and after images for our suggested treatment plan.
When you visit our ultra-modern dental facility, we will offer compassionate and exceptional dental care. We will also provide details about the time it will take for your specific plan and the total cost of treatment. Take time to read through all the reviews provided by our patients, then give us a call today.
What Our Patients Are Saying
With over 1000 reviews from all over the web with an average rating of 4.9 we are proud to be in the Manhattan Dental Elite.