Invisalign for Underbite
Invisalign for Underbite - Is it Right for You?
- What Is An Underbite?
- Why Should You Fix An Underbite?
- Does Invisalign Work For An Underbite?
- Benefits Of Using Invisalign For Underbite Treatment
- Call To Book An Invisalign Consultation At 209 NYC Dental
An underbite is a serious misalignment of the upper and lower front teeth. While it makes your smile look strange, it can also cause serious oral health issues. Treatment of this dental issue is easier and more effective today with Invisalign. You do not have to use metal braces or expanders.
Invisalign is a discreet, convenient and comfortable treatment option that makes it easy for you to fix your underbite without surgery. Before you call 209 NYC Dental for a consultation, take a few minutes to learn more about this condition and how Invisalign can be used to fix it.
Call 212-355-2290 for Information about Invisalign for Underbite
Written by: Dr. Benjamin Ahn
What Is an Underbite?
An underbite is incorrect positioning of your teeth that occurs when your lower teeth stick out in front of your upper teeth when you close your mouth. The lower jaw is displaced and positioned too far forward. If you have an underbite, you will find it difficult to bite and chew properly. It may also cause you to have a speech impediment, which could require speech therapy, and make your teeth wear out quickly.
What Causes an Underbite?
An underbite may be caused by genetics, bad childhood habits or injury. If your underbite is inherited, your parents or any other member of your family will also have it. They may have the same type of jaw and tooth shape too.
Childhood habits that can increase the risk of having an underbite include:
- Excessive thumb sucking
- Jaw problems
- Using a pacifier after the age of three
- Feeding on a bottle after the infant years
- Pushing on the front teeth with the tongue, also called tongue thrusting
When a severe injury occurs, it can damage the jawbones and cause misalignment of the teeth. In addition, a tumor in the mouth can cause the jaws to protrude, leading to an underbite.
Why Should You Fix an Underbite?
If you have an underbite, you need to get it corrected. It will make your smile look strange and unpleasant, which can lead to embarrassment when you need to smile or meet new people.
An underbite can also cause serious dental issues, including:
- Poor oral hygiene: An underbite will make your teeth hard to clean.
- Faster tooth wear: The enamel on your teeth will wear out quickly.
- Tooth decay: Due to poor hygiene and excessive wear, your teeth can decay faster.
- Joint disorders: Severe underbites can cause a painful joint condition known as TMJ.
How to Fix Underbite
When you visit 209 NYC Dental, we will help you assess your smile carefully to determine the cause and severity of your underbite. Then, our Invisalign expert, Dr. Ahn, will recommend a treatment plan for you. If your underbite is caused by a minor jaw displacement or irregular teeth position, we will show you the best treatment plan to correct this problem.
Does Invisalign Work for an Underbite?
Yes, Invisalign treatment aligners can fix certain types of underbites. Severe underbites sometimes require additional treatment options, including surgery to correct the position of the jaw. Invisalign can also work for class 3 underbites when combined with other treatment plans.
At 209 NYC Dental, Dr. Ben Ahn and other dentists will conduct a thorough dental examination of your smile. We use the most modern 3D scanner to take images of teeth and plan treatments. We will show you 3D images of your teeth and what they will look like after a successful Invisalign treatment.
Each set of clear aligners will be worn for just two weeks. Then, you will replace them with another set. You need to wear the aligners for up to 22 hours each day. You will still have time to remove them when you need to clean your teeth or eat. Each set of clear braces will push your teeth gently back into their proper position.
How Long Does Invisalign Take for Underbite?
The length of time for your Invisalign treatment will depend on the severity, the level of misalignment and your willingness to keep the braces on for about 22 hours daily.
For minor cases, it could take about three to four months, while moderately severe underbites can be corrected within 12 months. This time is still shorter than the time it takes to get underbites fixed with traditional metal braces.
Benefits of Using Invisalign for Underbite Treatment
Invisalign is an effective and patient-friendly treatment option. It is better than traditional metal braces. Here are some of the advantages that it offers compared to other forms of treatment.
- Invisibility: Clear aligners are not noticeable. They do not have metal wires, brackets and elastics that everyone will see when you smile. As a result, you can enjoy your treatment and correct your smile without anyone knowing.
- Comfort and convenience: The clear aligners will fit on your teeth perfectly, and they will not cause any form of discomfort. They will be custom-made to fit your teeth and gradually push them back to their right position.
- Improved oral hygiene: You can easily take off the clear aligners to clean your teeth, which will allow you to improve your oral hygiene and avoid tooth decay. The clear braces are also easy to clean.
- Efficient: Invisalign works more efficiently than traditional braces. Each set of aligners moves the teeth to their correct position, and we can inspect your teeth every two weeks to ensure that they are shifting according to plan.
- Dietary freedom: With Invisalign, you can take the clear braces off and eat what you want. That means you can enjoy your favorite snacks and meals without any particles of food getting trapped in the braces.
- Enhanced self-confidence: Invisalign can improve your self-worth and boost your confidence in social situations.
Meet Dr. Ahn, the VIP Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider
Dr. Ben Ahn is our distinguished Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider. He is currently one of the most distinguished Invisalign dentists in the United States. In addition, he is an active member of the American Dental Association, the Canadian Dental Association and many other international dental associations.
Dr. Ahn is fully committed to continually improving the outcomes from Invisalign treatment and the use of other orthodontic technologies. He has been using Invisalign to treat patients for more than 15 years, and he has helped many patients transform their smiles. As an expert in the use of Invisalign, he can offer all forms of Invisalign treatment, including full treatment, Invisalign Teen and Invisalign Express.
Call Now to Book an Underbite Invisalign Consultation
Call 209 NYC Dental or reach out online now to schedule your consultation. Consultations are $50 and if you proceed with treatment, we will apply $50 towards your Invisalign treatment. We will gladly offer you an assessment of your smile and show you how Invisalign can help you correct your misaligned teeth. We will offer you free 3D image scanning and provide before and after images. Then, we will recommend the best treatment plan for you.
What Our Patients Are Saying
With over 1000 reviews from all over the web with an average rating of 4.9 we are proud to be in the Manhattan Dental Elite.