Tissue Grafts NYC
Gum and Oral Tissue Grafts in NYC
Gum grafts are procedures that use tiny portions of your own gum tissue or tissue from a tissue bank (allografts) to supplement your existing gum tissue in areas where the gums have begun to recede and the tooth or multiple teeth appear long. A low gum line can potentially expose the lower portions of teeth and tooth roots to disease. During gum graft procedures, small samples of gum tissue from a tissue bank or taken from elsewhere in your own mouth are implanted near the bases of teeth that do not have enough gum tissue. Over time, the tissue will fuse with the existing gum tissue to help protect teeth.
- Benefits Of The Soft Tissue Graft Procedure
- Gum Graft Procedures and Alternatives
- Preparing for Your Gum Tissue Graft
- Gum Tissue Graft Recovery
- Talk to 209 NYC Dental About Gum Grafts Today
Benefits Of The Soft Tissue Graft Procedure
By having tissue graft done several benefits will be achieved:
- Gum recession eliminated
- Sensitivity caused by exposed root surface no longer present
- By covering exposed roots, we protect them from decay
- The tooth no longer looks long, thus improving the esthetics of your smile
Gum Graft Procedures and Alternatives
When you meet with a periodontist or dentist about a gum graft, they will examine the recession closely and decide which graft is the right match for your needs. At 209 NYC Dental, we’ll work closely with you to decide on one of these options:
- Connective tissue grafts: This is the most common graft type. If your dentist or periodontist decides on this graft, they will remove a piece of connective tissue from the roof of your mouth by creating a small incision in the first layer of gum tissue. They then attach this piece to the area in need of a graft.
- Free gingival grafts: One of the top gum graft alternatives is a free gingival graft. This graft is like a connective tissue graft, but the tissue is taken from the first layer of the gum tissue instead of the layer underneath it. This is a common choice for people who have thin gums.
- Pedicle grafts: A pedicle graft may be the best solution if the area around your gum recession has a lot of healthy tissue. Instead of taking gum tissue from another area of your mouth, your periodontist can use the existing tissue in the area to create a flap over the recession without stopping blood flow in other areas of the mouth.
Preparing for Your Gum Tissue Graft
Since gum grafts are a relatively minor procedure, you do not have to do much in the way of preparation. The one thing you should arrange beforehand is transportation to and from your appointment. During the procedure, you may receive pain medications that will affect your ability to drive. Make sure you have plans with a trusted loved one to get home after your appointment.
Something else to be aware of as you prepare for your procedure is the gum craft costs and how much you can expect to pay. Costs may vary from hundreds to a few thousand dollars, but it depends on your specific circumstance. In many cases, insurance carries most or all of the cost, especially if you are insured under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Gum Tissue Graft Recovery
As the gum grafting procedure is shorter than many other dental procedures, you will likely be able to return home within the hour of completion. Once the tissue is placed, you must rinse your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash and listen to any post-procedure care instructions from your periodontist.
Your graft should heal completely within a few weeks. Along with continuing to use mouthwash regularly, the most important thing you can do is avoid burning, touching or scratching the area during the gum graft healing stages. Do not floss or brush your teeth in the affected area until your dentist or periodontist informs you that it is safe.
Avoid eating and drinking hot or hard food and drink. Soft and chilled or room temperature foods are your best option.
Talk to 209 NYC Dental About Gum Grafts Today
The experienced, compassionate team at 209 NYC Dental has all the information you need to know about dental grafts to ease your nerves. Contact us today to schedule a consult and treat your receding gumline.
Allison I. – Yelp
What Our Patients Are Saying
With over 1000 reviews from all over the web with an average rating of 4.9 we are proud to be in the Manhattan Dental Elite.