Tips for Dental Implant Recovery
Implants are the gold standard for replacing missing teeth in your mouth. An implant is a titanium root that is gently inserted into the jaw bone. After about three months of healing, the implant will fuse to the bone (osseointegration). Once this happens we will place a post (abutment) into the implant and then a beautiful porcelain crown on top of the abutment. Viola your smile has been restored.
At 209 NYC Dental, Dr. Jin Wang is our Board Certified implantologist. His gentle, precise, and skilled manner does much to make your recovery easy, a non-event. Selecting the right doctor, in the right setting is probably the most important tip that allows for our huge 99% success rate. We have the most modern equipment, in an immaculate, safe, and tranquil environment. We are a multispeciality office that coordinates the surgical placement of your implant with beautiful restoration, all under one roof.
The rate of recovery is 100% dependent on the individual circumstances of the patient and the complexity of the work being done.
To ensure a complete and fast recovery here are some “tips” for you to follow after the implant placement.
Factors that Influence Dental Implant Recovery
- The overall health of the patient; systemic diseases ie diabetes, pre-existing medical conditions
- The overall health of the mouth and jawbone (ie pre-existing periodontal disease)
- Smoking-which must be stopped completely during the recovery phase, if not forever
- Alcohol-no intake for two weeks post-surgery
- Placement site ( anterior/posterior, upper/lower)
- Amount of implants (single vs multiple)
- Do existing teeth need to be extracted, or are the teeth missing previously
- Does the surgical site need bone grafting (enhance the bone) so that implant can be placed
- Age of the patient
- Diet and Vitamin supplements-following the surgery we ask our patients to remain on a soft diet from 3-14 days. Smoothies, egg white omelets, pasta, hearty soups, fruits, and vegetables that can be blended, all fit the bill.
We want the bone to grow into the implant as expeditiously as possible. The following vitamins help in this endeavor:
- Calcium 400mg per day for three months-aids in new bone formation
- Vitamin D3 1000IU per day for three months-helps your body to effectively absorb calcium from the small intestine into the bloodstream
- Vitamin K2 90 micrograms per day for three months-aids in incorporating calcium into the matrix of the jaw bone, from the bloodstream
- Turmeric- 1000mg per day for two weeks-prevents inflammation, swelling, and discomfort following surgery
Things to Avoid After Surgery
- No strenuous activity for two weeks following surgery, no lifting or bending head down
- Absolutely NO smoking
- No alcohol for two weeks
- No Hard, crusty foods, no nuts or seeds
- Do not sleep on your stomach. Best to sleep on your back or side with your head elevated
- No vigorous rinsing for one week after surgery
Things to Do After Surgery
- Rest-the first day or two, keeping head elevated It should be noted that on single (simple) implant insertions many people return to work that very day!
- Ice the surgical site; 10 minutes on, ten minutes off for 1-2 days post-surgery. Greatly decreases swelling and post-op discomfort (which is minimal)
- Take medications as prescribed. Antibiotics to prophylactically prevent post-op infections (usually for seven days). Analgesic medications prevent pain, inflammation, and swelling. We usually suggest a combination of Tylenol and ibuprofen taken alternatively every six hours for a day or so.
- Eat soft foods
- Drink a lot of water (hydrate)
- On the second day after surgery very gently lavage the mouth with Peridex, 2x daily. Warm salt water (1 tablespoon of salt per glass of water) may also be used as a lavage in place of the peridex.
- Oral hygiene-Following day one we would you like you to restart proper oral hygiene, GENTLY, which consists of easy brushing and flossing (no rinsing with mouthwash for two weeks)
What to Expect After Dental Implant Surgery
- Post-surgical bleeding is NORMAL. Usually lasts 48-72 hours post-surgery. Bite on sterile gauze for ten minutes. A cold moist tea bag is also very effective in stopping bleeding.
- Swelling is to be expected depending on the severity of the case. In simple implant placement, there is hardly any. We recommend that when you return home that you ice the area 10 min on/10min off for the next two days. You can use ice cubes, crushed ice, and a nice more comfortable method is frozen green peas in a sandwich bag.
- In some cases, sutures (stitches) will be placed. We use dissolvable sutures which will melt away in four to six days.
Make an Appointment with 209 NYC Dental
Dr. Jin Wang and his team await you. Make an appointment with our dentists, today, to discuss the restoration of your smile. Implants are fixed in our mouths. They act just like natural teeth, in beauty, form, and function. The first step is all you need to do; we will make your implant journey a most pleasant voyage.